Appreciation of simple design and the wider everyday life aspects of technology, applied science and arts subjects such as engineering, construction studies, technical graphics, home economics, agricultural science, art and music are invaluable in interdisciplinary contexts such as mini-companies and other project-related activities. A wide variety of activities could be considered such as the following suggestions:
· furniture-making and restoration; interior design and furnishings
· know your car; routine maintenance
· various crafts such as model-making, jewellery-making, pottery.
· Home and garden maintenance
· food studies and practical cookery
· photography and video production
· textile crafts such as soft toys, weaving, fabric printing, etc.
Pupils could be given the opportunity to sample subjects, to which they did not have access in the junior cycle, with a view to the development of a broader perspective on senior cycle options.
It is important that pupils should develop a practical understanding of the role of technology in today’s world.